When people hear the word ‘health’, they almost invariably think of medical conditions and the treatment and prevention of disorders. In this chapter, however, we focus on what leads to good health and wellbeing, examining the individual and social determinants of good physical and mental health. Individual factors associated with good health and longer life expectancy include positive emotions and positive attitudes; having a sense of autonomy, competence, and meaning; and above all, having close social connections. We show that the mind and body always interact – physical health has an effect on mental states, and our mental states effect our physical health and physiology. We show how both physical states, and mental states such as stress can be improved through the foundational skills of mindfulness and compassion towards ourselves and others. Research on the social determinants of health shows populations are healthier when people are free from insecurity, exclusion and deprivation, and can play a full and useful role in their society’s economic, social and cultural life. Taking a whole of society approach to health, and engaging the public in the co-creation of health, are approaches that can optimise health for all.
Shauna Shapiro (2017) The Power of Mindfulness: What you practice grows stronger. TEDx.
Emiliana Simon-Thomas Talk (2013) Compassion in the Brain. UC Berkeley Greater Good Science Centre
Felicia Huppert (2020) Wellbeing is contagious too: Inner strength and compassion during and after COVID-19. Prevention United webinar series.
Kelly McGonigal (2013) How to make stress your friend. TEDx.
Richard Ryan (2012) Facilitating Children’s motivation and wellness. University of Queensland
Michael Marmot (2018) Social Justice and Health Equity. UC Berkeley
- Devi Sridhar (2022) Preventable: How a Pandemic Changed the World & How to Stop the Next One. Penguin Viking
- Michael Marmot (2020) Build Back Fairer: The COVID-19 Marmot Review. Institute of Health Equity.
- Ruth Baer, Catherine Crane, Edward Miller & Willem Kuyken (2019) Doing no harm in mindfulness-based programs: conceptual issues and empirical findings. Clinical Psychology Review, 71, 101-114.
- Dan Tomasulo (2020) Learned Hopefulness: The Power of Positivity to Overcome Depression. New Harbinger Publications.
- World Health Organisation (2018) Mental health: strengthening our response.
- Mark Williams & Danny Penman (2011) Mindfulness, Finding Peace in A Frantic World. Piatkus.
- Seth Gillihan (2020) How to be kind to yourself even with a chronic illness: 5 ways to practice self-compassion through long-term health challenges. Psychology Today, 10 January 2020.
- Michael Marmot (2015) The Health Gap: The Challenge of an Unequal World. Bloomsbury.
- Christopher Peterson (2010) Positive Health: Is health more than the absence of illness and informity? Psychology Today, 31 October 2010.
- Daniel Buysse (2014) Sleep health: can we define it? Does it matter? Sleep, 37(1), 9-17.
WHO (1986) Ottawa charter for health promotion. World Health Organization.
Towards positive health
- WHO (1948) Official records of the World Health Organization (Vol. 2). World Health Organization.
Both physical and mental health matter
- Zachary Steel, Claire Marnane, Changiz Iranpour, Tien Chey, John W Jackson,Vikram Patel & Derrick Silove (2014) The global prevalence of common mental disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis 1980–2013. International Journal of Epidemiology, 43(2), 476-493.
- Vikram Patel, Shekhar Saxena, Crick Lund, Graham Thornicroft, Florence Baingana, Paul Bolton, Dan Chisholm, Pamela Collins, Janice Cooper, Julian Eaton, Helen Herrman, Mohammad Herzallah, Yueqin Huang, Mark Jordans, Arthur Kleinman, Maria Elena Medina-Mora, Ellen Morgan, Unaiza Niaz, Olayinka Omigbodun, Martin Prince, Atif Rahman, Benedetto Saraceno, Bidyut Sarkar, Mary De Silva, Ilina Singh, Dan Stein, Charlene Sunkel & Jürgen Unützer (2018) The Lancet Commission on global mental health and sustainable development. The Lancet, 392(10157).
- Allen Nsangi, Daniel Semakula, Andrew Oxman, Astrid Austvoll-Dahlgren, Matt Oxman, Sarah Rosenbaum, Angela Morelli, Claire Glenton, Simon Lewin, Margaret Kaseje, Iain Chalmers, Atle Fretheim, Yunpeng Ding & Nelson Sewankambo (2017) Effects of the Informed Health Choices primary school intervention on the ability of children in Uganda to assess the reliability of claims about treatment effects: a cluster-randomised controlled trial. The Lancet, 390(10092).
- Felicia Huppert (2009) Psychological well-being: Evidence regarding its causes and consequences. Applied Psychology: health and Wellbeing, 2009, 1(2), 137-164.
How much does health depend on our healthcare system?
- World Health Organization (2018) ANNEX B Tables of health-related SDG statistics by country, WHO region and globally. World health statistics 2016: monitoring health for the SDGs sustainable development goals, World Health Organization.
- Klaus Schwab (2017) The Global Competitiveness Report 2017- 2018. World Economic Forum
- Global Health Security Index (2019)
- Food Foundation (2019) Submission to Select Committee on Food, Poverty, Health and the Environment.
Individual factors that influence health
- Stephanie Brown, Randolph Nesse, Amiram Vinokur & Dylan Smith (2003). Providing social support may be more beneficial than receiving it: Results from a prospective study of mortality. Psychological Science, 14(4), 320-7.
- Richard Ryan & Edward Deci (2017) Self-Determination Theory – Basic Psychological Needs in Motivation, Development and Wellness. Guilford Press.
- Edward Deci & Richard Ryan (2012) Self-determination theory in health care and its relations to motivational interviewing: a few comments. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 9(1), 1-6
- Pamela Fisher (2008) Wellbeing and empowerment: the importance of recognition. Sociology of Health & Illness, 30(4), 583-598.
- Ed Diener & Micaela Chan (2011) Happy People Live Longer: Subjective Well-Being Contributes to Health and Longevity. Applied Psychology-Health and Well Being, 3(1), 1-43.
- Natalia Martín-María, Marta Miret, Francisco Félix Caballero, Laura Alejandra Rico-Uribe, Andrew Steptoe, Somnath Chatterji & José Luis Ayuso-Mateos (2017) The impact of subjective well-being on mortality: a meta-analysis of longitudinal studies in the general population. Psychosomatic medicine, 79(5), 565-575.
- Barbara Fredrickson (2009) Positivity. Harmony.
- Barbara Fredrickson (2004) The broaden–and–build theory of positive emotions. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B: Biological Sciences, 359(1449), 1367-1377.
- Barbara Fredrickson, Roberta Mancuso, Christine Branigan & Michele Tugade (2000) The undoing effect of positive emotions. Motivation and Emotion, 24, 237–258
- Julian Lai, Phil Evans, Sik Hung Ng, Alice Chong, Oswald Siu, Cecilia Chan, Samuel Ho, Rainbow Ho, Plato Chan & Charles Chan (2005) Optimism, positive affectivity, and salivary cortisol. British Journal of Health Psychology, 10(4), 467-484
- Sheldon Cohen, William Doyle, Ronald Turner, Cuneyt Alper & David Skoner (2003) Emotional style and susceptibility to the common cold. Psychosomatic Medicine, 65(4), 652–657.
- Sheldon Cohen, William Doyle, Ronald Turner, Cuneyt Alper & David Skoner (2003) Sociability and susceptibility to the common cold. Psychological Science,14, 388–395.
- Anna Marsland, Sheldon Cohen, Bruce Rabin & Stephen Manuck (2001) Associations between stress, trait negative affect, acute immune reactivity, and antibody response to hepatitis B injection in healthy young adults. Health Psychology, 20(1), 4–11
- Sheldon Cohen (2005) The Pittsburgh Common Cold Studies: psychosocial predictors of susceptibility to respiratory infectious illness (Keynote Presentation at the 8th International Congress of Behavioral Medicine). International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 12(3),123-31.
- Stephanie Hooker, Kevin Masters & Crystal Park (2018) A meaningful life is a healthy life: A conceptual model linking meaning and meaning salience to health. Review of General Psychology, 22(1), 11-24.
Body and mind always interact
- K.M. Scott, R. Bruffaerts, A. Tsang, J. Ormel, J. Alonso, M.C. Angermeyer, C. Benjet, E. Bromet, G. de Girolamo, R. de Graaf, I. Gasquet, O. Gureje, J.M. Haro, Y. He, R.C. Kessler, D. Levinson, Z.N. Mneimneh, M.A. Oakley Browne, J. Posada-Villa, D.J. Stein, T. Takeshima & M. Von Korff (2007) Depression–anxiety relationships with chronic physical conditions: Results from the World Mental Health surveys. Journal of Affective Disorders, 103, 113–120.
- WHO (2001) Mental health: a call for action by world health ministers. World Health Organization.
Managing stress and pain
- Habib Yaribeygi, Yunes Panahi, Hedayat Sahraei, Thomas Johnston & Amirhossein Sahebkar (2017) The impact of stress on body function: A review. EXCLI journal, 16, 1057.
- Jeremy Jamieson, Alia Crum, Parker Goyer, Marisa Marotta & Modupe Akinola (2018) Optimizing stress responses with reappraisal and mindset interventions: An integrated model. Anxiety, Stress, & Coping, 31(3), 245-261.
- Jeremy Jamieson, Brett Peters, Emily Greenwood & Aaron Altose (2016) Reappraising stress arousal improves performance and reduces evaluation anxiety in classroom exam situations. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 7(6), 579–587.
- Alex Jinich-Diamant, Eric Garland, Jennifer Baumgartner, Nailea Gonzalez, Gabriel Riegner, Julia Birenbaum, Laura Case & Fadel Zeidan (2020) Neurophysiological Mechanisms Supporting Mindfulness Meditation–Based Pain Relief: an Updated Review. Current Pain and Headache Reports, 24(10), 1-10.
Mindfulness and compassion as foundations of physical and mental heath
- Felicia Huppert & Nickolas Yu (2020) The Rise of Mindfulness and its Impact on Mental Health and Well-being. In James Kirby & Paul Gilbert (Eds.) Making an Impact on Mental Health: The Applications of Psychological Research (Chap. Routledge.
- David Creswell (2017) Mindfulness interventions. Annual Review of Psychology, 68, 491- 516
- Christina Luberto, Nina Shinday, Rhayun Song, Lisa Philpotts, Elyse Park, Gregory Fricchione & Gloria Yeh (2018). A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of meditation on empathy, compassion, and prosocial behaviors. Mindfulness, 9(3), 708-724.
- Willem Kuyken, Fiona Warren, Rod Taylor, Ben Whalley, Catherine Crane, Guido Bondolfi, Rachel Hayes, Marloes Huijbers, Helen Ma, Susanne Schweizer, Zindel Segal, Anne Speckens, John Teasdale, Kees Van Heeringen, Mark Williams, Sarah Byford, Richard Byng & Tim Dalgleish (2016) Efficacy of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy in prevention of depressive relapse: an individual patient data metaanalysis from randomized trials. JAMA psychiatry, 73(6).
- Pieter Rossouw (2013) The end of the medical model? Recent findings in neuroscience regarding antidepressant medication: implications for Neuropsychotherapy. Neuropsychotherapy in Australia, 19, 3-10.
- Michaela Pascoe, David Thompson, Zoe Jenkins & Chantal Ski (2017) Mindfulness mediates the physiological markers of stress: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 95, 156-17.
- Yi-Yuan Tanga, Yinghua Maa, Yaxin Fana, Hongbo Fenga, Junhong Wanga, Shigang Fenga, Qilin Lua, Bing Hua, Yao Lina, Jian Lia, Ye Zhanga, Yan Wanga, Li Zhoua & Ming Fanc (2009) Central and autonomic nervous system interaction is altered by short-term meditation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106(22), 8865-887.
- David Black & George Slavich (2016) Mindfulness meditation and the immune system: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1373(1), 13-24
- Willem Kuyken, Ed Watkins, Emily Holden, Kat White, Rod Taylor, Sarah Byford, Alison Evans, Sholto Radford, John Teasdale & Tim Dalgleish (2010) How does mindfulness-based cognitive therapy work? Behaviour Research and Therapy, 48(11), 1105-1112.
- Ruth Baer (2009) Self-focused attention and mechanisms of change in mindfulness-based treatment. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 38(S1), 15-20.
- Edo Shonin, William Van Gordon & Mark Griffiths (2015). Mindfulness in psychology: a breath of fresh air? The Psychologist, 28(1), 28-31.
- James Donald, Bajinder Sahdra, Brooke Van Zanden, Jasper Duineveld, Paul Atkins, Sarah Marshall & Joseph Ciarrochi (2019) Does your mindfulness benefit others? A systematic review and meta-analysis of the link between mindfulness and prosocial behaviour. British Journal of Psychology, 110(4).
- Mary Catherine Beach, Debra Roter, Todd Korthuis, Ronald Epstein, Victoria Sharp, Neda Ratanawongsa, Jonathon Cohn, Susan Eggly, Andrea Sankar, Richard D. Moore & Somnath Saha (2013) A multicenter study of physician mindfulness and health care quality. The Annals of Family Medicine, 11(5), 421-8.
- Karyn Wang, Annalena Welp, Ju Li Ng & Helena Nguyen (2020) Enhancing Compassion in Healthcare: A Multi-Level Perspective. In Russell Lansbury, Anya Johnson, & Dianne van den Broek, Contemporary Issues in Work and Organisations Actors and Institutions. Routledge
- Sarah Ellen Braun, Patricia Anne Kinser & Bruce Rybarczyk (2019) Can mindfulness in health care professionals improve patient care? An integrative review and proposed model. Translational Behavioral Medicine, 9(7).
Social determinants of health
- Richard Wilkinson & Michael Marmot (Eds.) (2003) Social determinants of health: the solid facts. World Health Organization, Anxiety, Stress, & Coping.
- Richard Wilkinson & Kate Pickett (2009) The Spirit Level: Why Equality is Better for Everyone. Allen Lane / Penguin.
- Michael Marmot (2020) Health equity in England: the Marmot review 10 years on. BMJ, 368.
- Michael Marmot, Jessica Allen, Peter Goldblatt, Tammy Boyce, Di McNeish, Mike Grady & Ilaria Geddes (2010) The Marmot review: Fair society, healthy lives. The Strategic Review of Health Inequalities in England Post-2010.
- Ilona Kickbusch, Luke Allen & Christian Franz (2016) The commercial determinants of health. The Lancet Global Health, 4(12), E895-6.
- Global Burden of Disease Collaborative Network (2018) Global Burden of Disease Study 2017 (GBD 2017) Results. Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME).
- Amy O’Donnell, Peter Anderson, Eva Jané-Llopis, Jakob Manthey, Eileen Kaner & Jürgen Rehm (2019) Immediate impact of minimum unit pricing on alcohol purchases in Scotland: controlled interrupted time series analysis for 2015-18. BMJ, 366, l5274.
A whole of society approach to health
- Inga Dóra Sigfúsdóttir, Thorolfur Thorlindsson, Álfgeir Logi Kristjánsson, Kathleen Roe & John Allegrante (2008) Substance use prevention for adolescents: the Icelandic model. Health Promotion International, 24(1), 16-25.
- Alice Munro, Tammy Boyce & Michael Marmot (2020) Sustainable health equity: achieving a net-zero UK. Institute of Health Equity.
- Stefanie Schütte, François Gemenne, Muhammad Zaman, Antoine Flahault & Anneliese Depoux (2018) Connecting planetary health, climate change, and migration. The Lancet Planetary Health, 2(2), e58-e59.
- Jacqueline Torres & Joan Casey (2017) The centrality of social ties to climate migration and mental health. BMC Public Health, 17(1), 600.
- Sue Kildea, Yu Gao, Sophie Hickey, Sue Kruske, Carmel Nelson, Renee Blackman, Sally Tracy, Cameron Hurst, Daniel Williamson & Yvette Roe (2019) Reducing preterm birth amongst Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander babies: a prospective cohort study. E Clinical Medicine, 12, 53-41.
- World Health Organization (2013) WHO Health 2020. A European policy framework and strategy for the 21st century.
- Michael Grant Rhodes & Marten de Vries (2017) A Case for Open Network Health Systems: Systems as Networks in Public Mental Health. International Journal of Health Policy and Management, 6(3), 129-133.
- Paul Bate & Glenn Robert (2006) Experience-based design: from redesigning the system around the patient to co-designing services with the patient. BMJ Quality & Safety, 15(5), 307-310.
- Steven Dobscha, Kathryn Corson, Nancy Perrin, Ginger Hanson, Ruth Leibowitz, Melanie Doak, Kathryn Dickinson, Mark Sullivan & Martha Gerrity (2009) Collaborative care for chronic pain in primary care: a cluster randomized trial. JAMA, 301(12), 1242-1252.
- Anna Muntingh, Christina van der Feltz-Cornelis, Harm van Marwijk, Philip Spinhoven & Anton van Balkom (2016) Collaborative care for anxiety disorders in primary care: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Family Practice, 17(1), 62.
- Tessa Richards, Rosamund Snow & Sara Schroter (2016) Co-creating health: more than a dream. BMJ, 354, i4550.
- Dina Von Heimburg & Ottar Ness (2020) Relational welfare: a socially just response to co-creating health and wellbeing for all. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, 1403494820970815.